As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Visas are required for most foreigners. Exemptions are granted to:
1. Citizens of Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Laos, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia and Finland.
2. APEC Business Travel Card Holders.
3. Diplomatic or official passport holders from 70 selected countries.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Work, Dependent and Visitor visas are the most common. The Visitor visa has the following categories:
- 30-day single entry visa
- 30-day multiple entry visa
- 3-month single entry visa
- 3-month multiple-entry visa
One can apply for a Residence Card if a Work Permit is granted for a minimum of 12 months.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
The work permit process for a foreign national to take up employment in Vietnam is document intensive. It requires police clearances, translations and legalizations of documents.

Visitors - citizens of non-exempted countries must secure a Vietnam entry visa or a Visa Approval Letter (“VAL”) before departure. An entry visa will be issued to those who enter Vietnam with a VAL.

Do not attempt to arrive in Vietnam without a Visa or a VAL.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Yes. There are plenty of recruitment companies that assist foreigners in finding work.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
Your passport, containing the correct visa, is the most important document for a foreigner in Vietnam. You can apply for a Residence Permit, which also is a valid form of identification, once your Work Permit is ready.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
The work permit is important; it's needed for you to work in Vietnam and also to import your shipment/personal household goods. You should also register with your local embassy/consulate upon arrival in Vietnam
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Do not bring:

  • Pornography
  • Books, CDs, DVDs and videos containing anti-communist propaganda
  • Data featuring the Vietnam War or excessive violence.

Please contact Crown Vietnam for further information.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Obey local laws and always keep your visa up-to-date and valid.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.