What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in your city?

When searching for a place to live, important factors to consider are safety, location preference and individual requirements. Depending on your preferences, you may want to find a place close to work, school, shops, medical facilities and most importantly an area that is secure and safe. The most important thing to take into consideration is the lifestyle that you and your family would like to have.
↑ Top

What are the most popular neighborhoods in your city for expats?

There are many popular areas and neighborhoods in and around Nashville, TN. Again, it all depends on what type of lifestyle and community you desire to live in. Accommodation varies from high rise apartments, condominiums, townhouses and single family homes. Many expatriates choose to live just outside the city and commute to their jobs in Nashville.

Some of the preferred locations for expatriates are Brentwood, Gallatin, Franklin, White House and Thompson's Station. All these areas have spacious homes (with even more spacious yards) outstanding schools within their districts, safe streets and all the amenities you will ever need close by.
↑ Top

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?

Most expatriates tend to rent for the first year or two. Some will consider purchasing once they have established a credit history. However, most choose to rent because they are on temporary assignment in the area for a short period of time (two to three years).
↑ Top

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?

In order to rent, most places require first and last month's rent, plus a security deposit equivalent to one month's rent. Pet owners should be aware that many landlords require a pet deposit for each animal. Security deposits are generally returned at the end of the lease period, if the residence is left in good condition.
↑ Top

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?

This depends on where you live and on your landlord. In some cases, full or partial utilities are included and in others they are totally excluded. It is recommended that you check with your local real estate agent or landlord prior to moving in.
↑ Top

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?

As with most cities, it is important to take certain precautions to secure your residence. We recommend that you check out the local police reports before deciding on an area in which to live. These reports provide factual information on types of crimes and how often they occur. This will most likely be a determining factor on whether you choose to live in a certain neighborhood or not. We advise you to check with friends, colleagues or a real estate professional prior to deciding on a certain neighborhood.
↑ Top

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in your city?

The electric current in the United States is 110 volts. The electrical Hertz (Hz) is 60.

Do note: It is not recommended that you bring electric appliances to the United States from overseas. Although there are converters available, the electrical appliance may not function properly.

Below are examples of the types of plugs that are used in the U.S.:

Type A - Flat blade attachment plug

Type B - Flat blades with round grounding pin

↑ Top

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?

Crown Washington DC can provide assistance when looking for a home in the greater Nashville area. Please feel free to contact Crown Washington DC for further information on this service.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.