Shanghai Shopping

What are the items that I should bring with me because they’re not available (or are too expensive) where I am going?
Deodorant can be difficult to find in Shanghai. It can be found in Watson's and other select stores however; selection can be scarce so bring a good supply from home, as it can be nearly 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) in the summer.

It is also recommended that you bring a generous supply of any specialized medicines or vitamins that you or your family use. These may not be available in the brand or form that you wish. In addition, you may have trouble locating a good selection of western CDs and books in shops.
↑ Top

Will anyone have particular trouble finding clothes that fit?
Some people may find it difficult to find clothes that fit. However, there are good tailors in Shanghai who charge reasonable rates. Western-sized clothing is slowly becoming more common in Shanghai as well.
↑ Top

What grocery stores do expats in your city shop at?
Carrefour is by far the most popular store, with many locations in Shanghai. Further out of town are Metro and Auchan. City Supermarket is also popular.
↑ Top

Where can other household items (such as cleaning materials and home furnishings) be found?
Carrefour is actually the most convenient place to buy most of these items. For other things, there are branches of OBI, B&Q and IKEA in Shanghai. Many streets also contain small stores that offer cooking, cleaning and construction materials.
↑ Top

What are factors that might affect my shopping habits in this country/city?
Some items may take a relatively long time to find. In addition, travel to some shopping areas and stores may be difficult, depending on distance and/or your fluency in Chinese.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.