What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Public schools in Hungary adhere to a system of their own. Thus, expats looking to stick with the curricula of their home countries choose private international schools for their children.
What are some examples of these schools?
Schools that teach in English:
- The American International School of Budapest offers pre-kindergarten through high school levels. Enrolment is about 670 students.
- Britannica International School offers pre-nursery, kindergarten, primary and secondary school levels. Enrolment is about 270 students.
- International School of Budapest (ISB) offers nursery school and pre-kindergarten through middle school (grade 8). Enrolment is about 80 students.
- Britannica International School offers education from ages 5 to 18. Enrolment is about 85 students.
- International Christian School of Budapest provides instruction for children in grades 1 to 12 within the framework of a Christian worldview. Enrolment is about 170 students.
- Greater Grace Christian Academy provides instruction for children grades K to 12. Enrolment is about 175 students.
Schools that teach in other languages:
- Budapest French School offers baccalaureate Francais (also primary school and kindergarten). Enrolment is about 480 students.
- German School of Budapest is identical to the one in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany. Enrolment is about 420 students.
Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
There is virtually no competition for spots in schools, although you will need to fill out an enrolment application.
Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
Yes, there are many public and private pre-schools for children ages 3 to 6. The English, German or
French international schools usually have pre-schools.
How are most kids transported to and from school?
There are no school buses for the public schools, but these are available at the private schools.
When does the typical school year start and end?
The year starts in September and ends in June.
Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Please contact Crown Budapest with any questions or to arrange school search assistance.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.