While moving out of your home might seem easy, packing up everything you own is an entirely different story. From fragile items like clothes, kitchenware or books to big appliances like washing machines or refrigerators, many things need special care when moving. And if you have more than one person in your family who needs to be carried with you, you will want to hire professional movers to help pack and move your belongings safely.
However, finding a reliable mover and packer in Malaysia can be complex and daunting, especially for first-time movers. Not to mention, hiring an international mover and packer in Malaysia would be twice the headache. Many factors need to be considered, and most importantly, you must be careful and avoid making any mistakes that can cost you extra money and time.
In this article, we share seven mistakes to avoid when choosing a packer and mover service to help you. Read on to find out more.
1. Cost over Quality when Choosing a Moving Company
Saving money is good, but too cheap sometimes is too good to be true. In most cases, the lowest price would not be a good selection for a particular job. It could even come with the risk of not providing quality services. Check that the company has sufficient experience and expertise in handling delicate goods and large items such as washing machines.
Ask about previous customers’ feedback before signing the contract if you want quality and reliability. Also, check whether they offer free quotes so you can compare the prices with other companies.
2. Hiring Packer and Movers at the Last Moment
The last thing you want to do is to leave it late to plan the move. It takes several days or weeks to prepare an entire household for relocation. So, instead of waiting until the last minute, ensure you get started early by preparing all the necessary information. This way, you won’t have to worry about anything once the actual day arrives. Of course, certain things cannot be planned ahead. These include:
- Furniture that requires assembly
- Items that require additional packaging materials like boxes and bubble wrap
- Small but essential items that may otherwise be forgotten
This is especially important for long-distance moves. Since professional and resourceful movers are always in high demand, contacting them at the last minute would be risky since they might be fully booked. Call them weeks in advance to schedule a pickup date. Otherwise, you might have to pay penalties or, worse, have to choose any available low-quality services.
3. Lack of Proper Planning when Hiring Mover and Packer in Malaysia
When selecting a packer and mover, proper planning is necessary to avoid any last-minute rush or to forget the important things. For instance:
- Make sure you decide which method of transportation to use – either local or international (if needed)
- Determine what services you need (e.g., pack only or both pack and unpack). Depending on the location of your destination, these two options can vary greatly.
- Decide where you will store your stuff before the move.
- Plan for the number of people you will bring along (and what each one needs), including pet relocation services.
4. Not Doing Homework by Comparing Multiple Moving Service Companies
It is best to narrow the list of potential packers and movers to just one company to handle your move. Compare their rates and services to determine which suits your needs better. The rest of the details are easy to learn through researching online.
It might also be an excellent option to talk to friends who have already used the service. If you don’t know where to start, here are some questions you can ask to get off to a great start:
- How long have they been operating?
- What is their packing and moving method?
- Do they provide insurance coverage?
- Are they licensed and insured?
While it is almost impossible to find the perfect one, find the one that can offer the right balance between all factors. This way, you can eventually feel satisfied with the overall experience.
5. Not Asking About the Moving Company's Extra or Hidden Charges
The price you are quoted initially usually does not include extra charges. These could be hidden fees, additional costs, or even unforeseen circumstances. Some examples of these charges are:
- Additional fees for items left behind
- Unforeseen damages
- Insurance fee
- Tax and duty charges
Asking for extra or hidden charges is crucial before paying anything to avoid any issues in the future. You should never pay more than what was agreed upon beforehand.
6. Packer and Mover Inquiry and Quotations Only Over the Phone
While it's convenient, discussion over the phone without any written forms could cause confusion and different expectations. It is best to meet up for a discussion at the office, especially for international mover and packer in Malaysia. If a physical meeting is not possible, contact them through email or text for better communication.
This is also important so that if any issue arises, you will have a clear written form of agreement to refer to. The same goes for your final payment. Make sure to keep receipts of everything, including the original quote, contract, and invoice.
7. Forgetting to Keep Valuable Items First before Handing to the Moving Company
When handing your belongings to a packer and mover, keep the most valuable items first. This includes jewellery, cash, documents, credit cards, mobile phones, laptops, etc. Pack the items separately and move them with you.
The company you hired might have the best reputation, but there might be unexpected incidents along the journey. Sometimes your items might be misplaced during the trip, so the best option is to keep the valuable things by yourself.
Choosing the ideal mover and packer in Malaysia might be intimidating. Be sure to read through other people's experiences and try to avoid repeating the common mistakes made.
Have you ever relocated between cities, or is it your first time moving? Let Crown Relocations' professional team of packer and mover Malaysia helps you throughout everything. Visit our website to know more.