What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in your city?

Greater Edmonton has a population of just over one million people, and the city is one of the largest in Canada, as judged by land area. When choosing an area of the city to live in, it is good to consider lifestyle, access to shopping and transit, and education. Please refer to the links below for further information on Edmonton's neighborhoods and people services.
↑ Top

What are the most popular neighborhoods in your city for expats?

Newcomers to Edmonton are concentrated in the following areas: Beverly, Bonnie Doon, Calder, Capilano, Castledowns, Clareview, Downtown, Jasper Place, Kaskitayo, Lake District, Londonberry, North Central, Mill Woods, Riverbend, Southgate, University and West Jasper Place.

Detailed demographic profiles of every neighborhood in Edmonton, including crime rates, amenities and so on, can be found below under the heading 'Useful Links.'
↑ Top

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?

Typically, expatriates rent their homes if their stay is for a short duration. However, those with longer durations may decide to buy. Some companies prefer that a transferee rent rather than buy, if only for the first year, to ensure the family feels comfortable in their selected area.
↑ Top

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?

In most cases, you should expect to pay first and last month's rent prior to moving in. Beyond that, your lease will clearly state the cost of rent per month, along with whether or not this includes utility bills. The lease also states the length of the occupancy in the property (generally one year) how payment is to be made each month, which appliances are included (if any) and (if applicable) whether or not parking is included.
↑ Top

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?

When renting a home, utilities are not typically included in your tenant contract. However, in condominiums and apartments, some utilities are included in your leasing contract.
↑ Top

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?

Alberta’s communities are among the safest in Western Canada. The Edmonton police force serves the city, providing prompt community policing as well as enforcement of the law (traffic, crime, etc.). Police foot patrols, police stations located in the community, emergency response teams and a police helicopter look over the neighborhoods to keep them safe.

Generally speaking, the police aim to involve community cooperation in creating a safer society, and seek to include representatives of Edmonton’s diverse cultural, ethnic and language groups to better serve all Edmontonians. You may also wish to participate in a volunteer-run Neighborhood Watch program that trains members of the community in crime prevention and to report crimes.
↑ Top

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in your city?

The electric current in Canada is 120/240 volts. The electrical Hertz (Hz) is 60. Below are examples of the types of plugs that are used in Canada:

Type A - Flat blade attachment plug

Note: In the US and Canada, two-blade plugs are often polarized, with one blade larger than the other. Most outlets are designed to handle these. The larger blade is the neutral side of the current.

This safety feature is designed to reduce the chance of accidental shock, as the plug can only be inserted one way. If you try to put a modern plug into an old-style receptacle for equal size blades, it won't go in unless you file down the larger blade to the older plug size. Outside the US, many countries with Type A use the old-style plug, and a newer US plug with unequal pins might pose a problem. This can be bypassed using an adaptor (found in many travel kits) which converts the newer Type A plug to the older model with equal-sized blades. Be aware, though, that you might also be bypassing the protection that polarization provides.
↑ Top

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?

If you are interested in a particular property, you will be required to complete a preliminary application. At that time, you may be asked to include a letter from your current employer on company letter headed paper. This should indicate your salary, job status and length of employment. In addition, you may also be required to provide a letter of reference from a former landlord stating something to the effect that you paid your rent on time and were a good tenant. You may also be required to provide your Social Insurance Number for credit reference, along with personal reference numbers.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.