Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

No vaccinations are required to enter Austria, but all travellers coming into the country are recommended to be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio, ticks and varicella immunizations. (hepatitis B, chickenpox, meningocci, pneumocci). It is important to bring any medical certificates/records from your home country. Check any other specific vaccination requirements carefully with your local Austrian consulate or embassy to confirm medical requirements.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

Austrian medical healthcare is among the best in the world and is of very high standard. To use the healthcare system you must be insured with one of the Austrian social insurance institutions (e-card). For more information on local providers, contact Crown Vienna.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

Doctor: Arzt oder Doktor
Dentist: Zahnarzt
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

If you are searching through the Internet, select your city and then search under 'Aerzte.' In the phone book, under "Arzt" you will have a list of doctors; and dentists will be found under "Zahnarzt." It is also good to ask your colleagues for some good tips or your Crown Vienna relocation consultant can providemore information. 

Allgemeines Krankenhaus (AKH)
9, Währinger Gürtel 18-20
Tel.: +43 1 404 0019 64

Poison Emergency Service/ Vergiftungszentrale
Tel.: +43 1 406 4343

Emergency dental services/ Notzahnarzt
Tel.: +43 1 512 2078

Out-of-hours Pharmacy Service/ Apotheken-Nachtdienst
Tel.: 1455

Vaccination Service and Foreign Travel Advice/ Tropeninstitut und Impfstelle
8, Lenaugasse 19
Tel: +43 1 40 86 310
9., Alsterstrasse 48
Tel: +43 1 40 38 343
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

Considering that Austria's medical care is some of the best in the world, this is not necessary. More frequently, the opposite occurs: people come from other countries to take advantage of the excellent medical care here!
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency?

  • Fire Department/ Feuerwehr: 122

  • Police/ Polizei: 133

  • Ambulance/ Rettung: 144

  • Doctors-on-Call/ Ärztefunkdienst: 141

  • Euro Emergency Call/ Euronotruf: 112

  • Gas emergency services/_ Gas Notruf: 128

  • Poison Emergency Service/ Vergiftungszentrale: +43 1 406 4343

  • Emergency veterinary services/ Tierarztnotdienst: +43 1 531 16

  • Info line Road condition: +43 1 955 59

  • Auto Assistance: ARBÖ:123

  • ÖAMTC: 120

  • Directory Assistance/ Telefonauskunft: 11 88 11

  • Vienna Lost and Found Office/ Fundamt: +43 900 600 200;

  • Vienna Transport Authority - Lost and Found Office/ Fundamt der Wiener Linien: +43 1 790 9; 3., Erdbergstrasse 202; U3-Station Erdberg

  • ÖBB Lost & Found/ Fundamt der ÖBB: +43 1 930 0022 222

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

In case of an emergency, who you call will depend on the type of emergency. All emergency numbers are listed above.
If in doubt, call the Police (133) who will advise accordingly.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy?What is it called in the local language?

Pharmacies (called 'Apotheke' in German) are recognized by the big green neon cross or the big red ‘A’ flashing above the entrance:
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

Yes, the water is safe to drink.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.