Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?



Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

Social security is the cornerstone of the Danish welfare society.

In case of illness, childbirth, childcare, pension and unemployment, coverage is extensive and the level of security is high.

Social security is mainly financed through taxes rather than through private insurance schemes as in many other European countries.

Foreign citizens with residence in Denmark usually enjoy the same social benefits as Danish citizens. Check out specific rules for foreign citizens on


What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?



What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

Check the directory for the local clinic where you are residing. You will be assigned a family doctor.


Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

They do not normally do so. But in certain cases, treatment may be re-directed to another area where necessary.


What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Medical/fire/police: 112

After normal business hours and when family doctor is closed you can call "Laegevagten". Numbers can be found on


What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

There are two options:

  1. For urgent emergencies go to the local hospital's emergency department.
  2. For other illnesses, you should call Laegevagten and they will direct you to an appropriate doctor

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Local pharmacy signs are in green, and is called "APOTEK"


Is the water safe to drink?



Useful Links




Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Please contact your closest embassy or consulate for confirmation.