Education in Manchester

What types of schools do most expats in Manchester choose for their children?

Many expats prefer private or independent schools (called 'Public schools'), as state schools have catchment areas for residents. You need to apply for private schooling early.

What are some examples of these schools?

The educational system in Manchester is of a high standard. Contact Crown Relocations for help finding the best schooling for your children, or see the listings below for further information.

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?

Yes, because the state schools have catchment areas.

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?

Yes, there are many preschools to choose from. See the below link for early education advice.

How are most kids transported to and from school?

Most children travel to school with their parents by car or catch a local bus.

When does the typical school year start and end?

The school year begins in September and ends in July.

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?

State schools rely solely on catchment areas for enrolments. Private schools are less strict on catchment areas, but prospective students may be required to sit exams for entry. It is also possible to enrol at a grammar school; however these are generally based on same sex or religion only. For private and grammar schools, expect to pay high fees.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.