Oslo Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Temporary resident.


What kinds of visas are available?

Work, student, or family ties.


What is required to obtain these visas?

Passport, employment papers, insurance by employer, address in Norway. Please note that separate rules apply for citizens covered by the EU/EEA/EFTA regulations.


Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

If you are in Norway for a shorter period, you may be able to bring your closest family members here during your stay. This applies if you have a time-limited permit in Norway. The possibility to find work depends on background and type of work required.


What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

Normal and valid ID include international valid driving license, credit card with personal details and photo, etc. It is not mandatory for Norwegian citizens to wear an ID in public places, but it is highly recommended that you carry ID in case of emergencies.


Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

Work permit before entering Norway. And register to the Norwegian "Skattedirektoratet" - tax authorities.


What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Alcoholic beverages, tobacco, new items. All subject to high taxes/duties.


Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

In order to work in Norway, most foreign citizens need a work permit. The permit must be granted before entry, and as a general rule, does not allow you to travel to Norway and wait for a decision. There are different rules for different work and residence permits.

To renew your work and residence permit, you must contact the police. They have application forms and information regarding what types of documents must be enclosed. Renewal should be submitted one month before the current permit expires.


Useful Links



Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Please contact your closest embassy or consulate for confirmation.